Member Categories

When getting involved with THIS, you will either fit into the diplomat category, explained below, or the volunteer category, explained under diplomats. Both diplomats and volunteers are active participants in THIS programs and cultural exchanges, and seek to be involved in Washington’s diplomatic community. The volunteer members serve with the intention of meeting the needs of the diplomatic community and so they additionally participate in behind-the-scenes work to make all of our events as enjoyable as possible for our diplomatic members.


Diplomat Eligibility

THIS primarily serves diplomats and families on A-1 and A-2 visas. An A-1 visa is issued to diplomatic personnel such as ambassadors, public ministers, career diplomatic officers or consular officers, and members of their immediate families. An A-2 visa is issued to other accredited officials and employees of foreign governments and their immediate families.

THIS also serves G-1, G-2, G-4 and NATO-1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 visa holders.

G-1, G-2, and G-4 Visas

  • Accredited representatives of recognized foreign governments entering the US to work for the United Nations or an International Organization, such as the IMF (International Monetary Fund), World Bank, OAS (Organization of American States), the Inter-American Development Bank, the European Union, the African Union, or other such organizations.

  • Staff of principal representatives of recognized foreign governments

  • Immediate family members of G-2 visa holders

NATO-1-6 Visas

  • A person and his/her immediate family members traveling to the US under the applicable provision of the Agreement on the Status of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization or the Protocol on the Status of International Military Headquarters Set Up Pursuant to the North Atlantic Treaty.

Even if a spouse or family member of a THIS recognized diplomat is a US citizen, we will still consider them part of the diplomatic community and treat them as such.

Volunteer Eligibility

Qualifications for THIS volunteers include an interest in communicating and interacting with representatives of different countries. Skills or proficiency in art, entertaining, languages and organization are great assets, but an inquiring mind, a willing hand, and an open heart are essential.

All applicants must be United States citizens or have lived in the U.S. for three years and have permission to reside in the U.S.

There are two ways to apply for membership in THIS.

  1. Applicant is recommended by a sponsor who is a current member of THIS. The sponsor completes a form found on the THIS website.

  2. Individuals learn about THIS on our website and decide to apply for membership.

    • All applicants fill out an application found on the THIS website.

    • Volunteer Membership Chair/Committee will confirm the receipt of application by email.

    • Internet applications, or applicants from other sources will be invited to an interview with the THIS Volunteer Committee. 

    • All prospective volunteers will be informed of acceptance by a member of the volunteer committee as well as about an orientation meeting to be held in the near future. At this time the membership fee will be requested.

    • At the orientation/training meeting, new volunteers will be fully informed of the Program, Cultural Exchange and Administrative Committees. They will be asked to participate in one of each of these committees.

    • During the meeting, new volunteers will be asked to purchase a handbook and will provide their picture for THIS’ files.

Sponsors, Committee Chairs and the Volunteer Committee members are expected to monitor and support participation of new volunteers for the first year. It is important that new volunteers have positive experiences during their first year as a member of THIS.